Aussie startup has just won $7.5m from a crowdfunding campaign that launched last week.
title The Australian startup that won $3.6m from $7m crowdfunding campaign says it’s in ‘final negotiations’ with Apple and Samsung to launch an Android phone.
article source The next stage of the $1.5bn Australian startup’s fundraising campaign, which launched last Wednesday, was successful, but there were still some obstacles in its way, according to CEO, Chris Leggett.
“We’re still negotiating with Apple about licensing of their phones and the Samsung one is very important,” Leggitt said.
“But it’s not that hard to get that.
So we’re final negotiations with Apple.”
He said the first phone would be a Nexus 5 and would be in the first quarter of next year.
Leggtt said the phone would have a 5.2-inch display and would have Qualcomm Snapdragon 801 processors and 4GB of RAM.
It would be available in October, he said.
The company has also announced plans to expand into more countries in the coming months.
Leckett said the company has been in discussions with Samsung about selling smartphones in the US and other markets.
Samsung, however, has declined to sell its own phones in Australia.
“Our plan is to have a full-fledged Android device in Australia, we’ve got plans in place and we’ll be launching in the next six months,” he said in a video message posted on the company’s website.
“There will be a lot of interesting things to come out of this in the months to come.”
Leggetts is currently a member of Apple’s board of directors, which oversees the company.
Leccott has been one of the most active investors in Australian tech startups and raised $4.4m from the likes of Google, Qualcomm and Facebook.
Leydgett is now focusing on other things and has a busy schedule, including a series of speaking engagements in the UK and the United States.
He will be making his keynote address at a business school in the United Kingdom next week.